Monday, November 29, 2010

Interpersonal Communication Blog Assignment pt 2

Concept 1:
Principles of Conflict
Principle 3: Social Groups shape the Meaning of Conflict Behaviors.
Differences Among Ccommunities (Chp. 9 Pg. 228)
This concept is relating to how different social communities deal with conflict. Men and women belong to different social communities and each community handles conflict with different methods. Women handle conflict by expressing verbally where on the other hand men tend to avoid expressive communication. The perceived  psychology behind men's lack of expressitivity is that men tend to deal with more intense and longer-lasting physical responses to conflict then women. Men try to avoid  and minimize conflict and sometimes use coercive tactics, both verbal and physical to avoid discussing problems and force their personal resolutions upon the other. Where as women try to express and work out the conflict. Women are also more inclined to defer and compromise.
 In relation to my own personal experiences I have noticed this to be true. In my previous relationship when there was conflict my ex would minimize the problem or just avoid the issue all together. I would try to map out the issue and even offer up resolutions but either way he would insist there was no problem but act out in a destructive behavior by ignoring me or being short tempered. His behavior conflicted with his claims. It wouldn't be till things excelled that he would admit he was upset and actually somewhat address the issue but I was the only one to offer up compromises.


I think this cartoon expresses well how men tend to avoid discussing conflict with in their personal lives. The cartoon characters are at dinner and the husband is examining an object to avoid talking to his wife, which a dinner table is an obscure place to examine anything unrelated to food or discussion. (haha).



Concept 2:
Autonomy/ Connection. ( Chp. 8 pg. 201)
In a relationship between two people there is a struggle between keeping "who you are" and being connected with the other person. This is a common struggle between couples and even friends because when two people are around each other for an extended period of time they tend to start sharing attitudes, behaviors and experiences in general. So it is easy to blend into a shared identity,but as an individual we struggle to keep "us" or our own personal identity.

This relates to my personal life in friendships and relationships. My best friend and I have shared a lot of time and experiences together and although our similarities are what have brought us together, I still feel the need to be my own person and create my own experiences. I feel this concept becomes more apparent in romantic relationships because many of the decisions are made with the other person in mind. This can be difficult for me because being so young I have yet to fully find myself as a person therefore there is a constant struggle for me to become fully connected with a person while still trying to find out who I am.

Don't hate me - The Get Up Kids Lyrics

I chose the lyrics to this song because the writer is telling the one he loves that although he loves her, he needs to find out who he is. But the writer's lover can rest assure that one day he will return to her.

Concept 3: 
Pressures on Friendships
 External Pressures
 Competing Demands ( Chp. 10 Pg. 266)
This concept relates to how people become immersed in a new relationship that they begin to neglect other friendships. This can create a strain on a friendship.
This concept relates to my personal life because when my friends were in relationships I would feel neglected because they would always have plans with their beaus so it was hard to get together. Also we didn't call and talk to each other on a regular basis so I would feel disconnected. There was a point in time where my close network of friends and I were all involved in serious relationships and despite being intimately involved with a person I had this sense of loneliness because I wasn't involved with my friends as much.


The Blow- The Big U

 This song is about how the singer is aware of her friend beginning a relationship and is fearing she will be consumed with in the relationship and will start to neglect their friendship.







                                                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. What you wrote about how differently women and men communicate is right on. Whenever my ex and I were in a fight it would be me talking about the conflict and he would just be silent. Then by the time he wanted to talk the conflict was even worse and I didn't want to talk. I can also relate to feeling neglected by friends when they were in relationships. This is one of the reasons why me and a best friend of mine are no longer friends. It's always tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the part in the book about how men have a harder time with the physical stress of conflict was really informative.It explains a lot. I guess in the long run majority of men are just not physically capable of handling conflict effectively like women.

    ReplyDelete